If you want to master your English, you must hold to this phrase: “practice makes perfect”. Simple? Yes, for some people but for everyone. why not? The answer lies within oneself.
If you want to be proficient in English, you have to use the language everyday – reading in English (newspapers, books, comics, novels), speak English to your friends, listen to English speeches, conversations, and songs; and write in English in your diary, e-mail, e-forum, and blogs.
“Feel” the language, “internalize” the language, “think” in English, and “immerse” yourself in English by creating an English “environment” in your life. At the same time, you can learn English on your own, practice on your own, and challenge yourself by doing language exercises continuously. Visit some of the following websites and do some exercises. Have fun!
- MAELE www.maele.net/Lessons.htm, www.maele.net/blogs.htm
- Dave ESL Cafe www.eslcafe.com
- Self-study quizzes http://www.aitech.ac.jp/~iteslj/quizzes/
- English Grammar, Writing, Reading http://www.summer.com.br/~pratical/englishlangua.htm
- Amo’s Online Crossword Puzzle English Dictionary http://www.amo.qc.ca/ODico/
- Wordnet: antonyms, synonyms http://www-inf.enst.fr/~milc/wordnet.html
- English to Go http://www.english-to-go.com/
- Guide to Grammar and Writing http://ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/
- Randall’s ESL Cyber Listening Lab http://www.esl-lab.com/
- English Club http://www.englishclub.com/
- Ohio ESL http://www.ohiou.edu/esl/english/reading/actvities.html
- Interesting Things for ESL Students http://www.manythings.org/
- English at Home http://www.english-at-home.com/
- The English Listening Lounge http://www.englishlistening.com/
- English As a Second Language http://www.rong-chang.com/
- More to come….
If you need help with words you don’t understand, please refer to
- Oxford English Dictionary http://www.oed.com
- Malay-English, English-Malay Dictionary http://www.hbp.usm.my/kaisel/
- More to come….